|Mon Feb 24, 2003|
Roca Mines Inc. Aquires Additional Ground
Vancouver, British Columbia, February 24, 2003: Roca Mines Inc. (ROK:TSX.V) wishes to announce it has acquired, by way of staking, a 100% interest in 13 new mineral claims totaling 194 units. The claims are in two separate groups near Roca's Foremore Project located 45 km north of Barrick Gold Corporation's Eskay Creek Mine in northwestern British Columbia.
The 'ROKS 1-6' claim group consists of 84 units comprising approximately 21 sq.km contiguous with the previous northern limit of the Foremore Project. This claim group was acquired to cover recently interpreted extensions of the North VHMS Zone, one of the Company's primary target areas at Foremore. The claim group also provides strategic ownership and coverage of potential access and infrastructure sites.
The 'ROC 8-14' claim group consists of 110 units comprising approximately 27.5 sq.km located in the area of Mess Creek. This additional property area was acquired to cover a belt of volcanic, sedimentary and intrusive rocks of probable Devonian-Mississippian age, analogous to Roca's Foremore Project six km to the south. In addition to its recently interpreted volcanic hosted massive sulphide potential, the new property contains several historical mineral showings of interest, with the following reported results by others:
- Mesothermal Quartz Veining -- three-plus primary veins containing; pyrite, tetrahedrite, chalcopyrite, sphalerite, arsenopyrite, barite, galena and gold, including:
- Vein 2 is up to 1.0m wide grading from 3.43 to 10.29 g/t Au in grab samples; and,
- Vein 3 is 450m long by 1.5m wide grading 24.35 g/t over 0.4m channel sample and 30.27 g/t over 1.5m channel sample;
- Stratiform Iron Carbonate Breccia Zone approximately 175m x 1,000m assaying from 0.34 to 1.78 g/t Au from grab samples;
- Telluride Vein exposed over 180m containing gold, tellurobismuthite, hessite, tetrahedrite, sphalerite, chalcopyrite and pyrite; and,
- Disseminated Pyrite Zones are common, grab samples from 1.0 to 3.1 g/t Au
(Source: Historical information on prior work on the properties is available in British Columbia Geological Survey Branch, Ministry of Energy and Mines, Minfile No. 104G 070)
ROCA MINES INC.
Scott E. Broughton, P.Eng - President
For further information contact Scott Broughton or John Mirko at:
Tel: 604-684-5900 (Broughton Ext. 114 / Mirko Ext. 110)
Email: [email protected] / [email protected]
The TSX Venture Exchange does not accept responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.
You can view the Previous News Releases item: Fri Mar 7, 2003, Roca Mines Inc. Appoints David J. Skerlec As Chief Financial Officer And Director
You can view the Next News Releases item: Tue Jan 7, 2003, Roca Mines Inc. Appoints Senior Advisor
You can return to the main News Releases page, or press the Back button on your browser.